Tuesday, April 6, 2010

And The Story Goes ... Episode I

     “You’re certainly quiet over there. Are you enjoying the food?” Andi inquires.
     “Very much so,” Shaun replies holding her hand over her mouth as not to expose the masticating food remnants.
     “But why are you so quiet tonight? It’s not like we haven’t been here before. You’re over there tasting like it’s your first time. If you ask me, we’ve been here too much.”
     “I’m simply enjoying my food. I thought you liked it here.” Here she goes tripping for who knows what this time. For the record, it’s called savoring; I don’t want to wolf my food down. What in the hell is her problem now? Shaun thinks while gearing up for Andi’s next probe.
     “I do like it. I’m just saying we can do other things. You’re so preoccupied with your salmon; can you even hear me? Should I be jealous? You’re not even talking to me. What’s the point in going out if we’re not going to converse with one another? Where are we going once we leave here?”    
     “Are you finished your rant? I was listening; would you prefer I talk while you’re talking? I AM eating just as I thought you were. Was your lamb unsatisfactory? Is that why you’re sounding so up in arms? As for after we leave here, I’ll take you home,” Shaun declares while motioning the server over to the table.
     “Home, what!? It’s still early. Oh I see what’s up; you don’t want me over your house tonight!”
     “You need to lower your voice Andi. I’m not doing this with you.”
     “Oh not with me, but with someone I’m sure.”
     “Would you like the server to wrap up the rest of your lamb?”
     “Don’t ignore me!”
     “I’m not ignoring you babe. I just want to make sure we take your food if you want it. I’m going to get the car,” Shaun announces after leaving a generous gratuity.
     Shaun is so full of crap. First she stays on mute while we’re out and now she wants to take me home. What happened to us spending time together? She’s up to some BS, I’m sure of it. I wonder if Karen’s home; Andi considers.
*******
     “You’re going to walk him again? Seems like we’re always taking him outside to do his business; he is spoiled rotten.”
     “We Karen? We—as in you and me?”
     “Okay Brad, it’s true, I don’t really take Spike out.”
     “Is that right?”
     “You got me there mister. Taking Spike out is not really a line item on my to-do list. Plus you like doing it.”
     “I like taking him out to run and play which is why we go outside so often; but I could do without cleaning up his mess. So what’s on Karen’s to-do list?”
     “I need to catch up on my reading and I have some papers to grade. Did you want to add something to my list?”
     “Yes, ME, I want to be on your to-do list,” Brad counters barely letting Karen finish the question.
     “Well that can certainly be arranged. How about I move you to the top?”
     Dropping the leash to the floor, Brad pulls Karen close to him leaving about two inches between their lips and whispers in a raspy voice, “Now you talking.” He looks at Spike sorrowfully, “Man I got to take care of mama first then we’ll go on our walk.” Just as he clasps Karen’s left hand with his right hand, her phone begins singing Andi’s ringtone.
     “I’m not answering it; I’ll call her back later.”
     As they reach the top of the stairs, Karen’s phone chimes Andi’s tone again. Brad sighs and proposes, “How about I take Spike for that walk and when I get back we’ll make sure our phones are on silent?”
     “No baby, I’m not going to answer it. I’ll call her tomorrow. She’ll be fine.”
     “Talk to that damn girl, she thinks everything is an emergency. You know she will keep on calling until she gets you. I’m going to walk the dog; now you go and counsel your friend.”
Brad gets his gray WVU sweatshirt while beckoning for Spike. With haste Spike runs to the door, and lets his owner fasten the leash. As they leave, Karen picks up her phone and affirms, “This better be an emergency.”
     “It is, I invited Kennedy over,” Andi confesses.
     “What! I thought you were having dinner with Shaun.”
     “I was, I mean, we did, but then we got into it, and she dropped me home.”
     “More like you started something and she wasn’t having it. You know how you do. Do NOT have Kennedy come there. You know where that will lead.”
     “It’s not going to lead to anything. We’re just friends now.”
     “Andi, are you forgetting who you’re talking to? That’s crap and you know it. Kennedy is your ex with whom you continued to blur the lines several months after the break-up. Remember how you acted when you saw her out with someone because y’all were still sleeping together?”
     “It’s not like that anymore. We’re both in relationships.”
     “Keep telling yourself that and maybe you’ll believe it. First of all, Kennedy is NOT in a relationship and she makes that very clear. You however, are in a relationship and don’t need the drama. Shaun seems cool; don’t blow it over exaggerated expectations. Even if you decide you don’t want Shaun, you’ve been down the Kennedy path too many times and it is everything except cool. She is high intensity, high drama. Sometimes I think you crave the drama.”
     “I can’t believe you said that. I don’t do drama Karen.”
     “Then why did you call her and not one of your other friends, a real friend?”
     “She is a real friend and I would have asked you but I knew you’d be up Brad’s ass.”
     Ignoring the insult attempt, Karen snickers and states, “The reason you didn’t ask me over is because I don’t do what Kennedy does for you; don’t screw yourself Andi.”
     “You know me, I’ll be fine.”
     “Yes I do know you.”
     “That sounds like her car pulling up.”
     “Well alright girl, I’ll talk to you tomorrow.”
*******
 Stay tuned and find out what happens next episode
 Who is Kennedy and what is it that she “does” to Andi?
        Exactly what intimacies Brad and Karen dive into once he returns home?
              Where in the world does Shaun go after dropping Andi off?


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations bun-bun, for a person with such an extensive vocabulary as yourself, it's difficult to not duplicate...I love the language.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really have out-done yourself with this one! The story is electric and full of surprise and drama filled, I guess that's part of what makes it so good.
    SHUKRAN!
    Again you resurface to ensure that Mondays are never mundane, its the end of Tuesday now, but when I think about Monday's at the office, some necessities besides hot coffee and a good chair is of course the weekly email I receive before the EMAIL by the one and only.

    ReplyDelete